Restorative Cleaning & Mitigation

ShockWave vs. Microban

Equipment & Chemicals - Processes & Procedures

ShockWave vs. Microban

Postby sstodnick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:14 pm

What are your experiences and opinions?
sstodnick

Postby AZtrain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 am

I've used shockwave for a couple of years now on sewage and mold damage, and I've never had a problem passing a clearance. I've never used Microban, so I can't give you a perspective on that, but some of the benefits to shockwave-

2 oz/gal dilution ratefor most applications
Light odor, smells like a cleaning solution
EPA registration covers pretty broad spectrum

I believe Shckwave is sold for about $40 a gal, undiluted, which works out to about 64 gallons of RTU. On Jon-Don, they advertise Microban as 1,500 sqft of coverage per gallon at about $26 a gallon.

The big benefit to using Microban, as I see it, is name recognition. The Microban name has great exposure, it is on baby change tables and grocery carts, among others. These are two recognizable items that people put their delicate valuables (babies and their food) in direct contact with, and can be used as a point of discussion to help calm down consumers who are wary of chemicals.

It basically boils down to cost and use you need it for. If both are registered for the exact same uses, than it would basically come down to a cost decision. If you have a specific use that one is registered for, and the other is not, the choice has been made for you... "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" is a very true statement.
Bryan
AZ Environmental Contracting Inc
Your Recovery is Our Priority
Phoenix, AZ
Bryan@azenco.com
www.azenco.com
www.phoenixmoldremediation.info
AZtrain

Postby Ken Horvath » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 pm

I prefer Sanidate 5.0 over either of them. Highly dilutable.

However, Concrobium Mold Control is the easiest and safest product to use. It is also EPA registered. Check it out. You can buy it at any Home Depot in the tool rental center. No PPE required and can be applied almost any way you want. So safe you can drink it. I have been using it for close to 2 years.
Ken Horvath

Postby AZtrain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Ken,

These products sound interesting, I would like to know some more about them.

I took a little time to look into both of them on the web, but don't have their complete registration info. Are they also registered for sewage and bio cleanup, or geared mostly towards mold and hard surface cleaning?

Concobrium states it inhibits future mold growth, and that it encapsulates mold spores. Does it inhibit the growth of the mold it encapsulates, or does it indeed have a residual effect that controls the growth of new spores?

Thanks
Bryan
AZ Environmental Contracting Inc
Your Recovery is Our Priority
Phoenix, AZ
Bryan@azenco.com
www.azenco.com
www.phoenixmoldremediation.info
AZtrain

Postby Ken Horvath » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:57 am

Hi Bryan,

Don't forget to tell them I sent you.

Sanidate product - Tom Garcia 888-273-3088

Concrobium Mold Control - Ray 866-811-4148
Ken Horvath

Re: ShockWave vs. Microban

Postby RestorationXperts » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 am

We do not use TM-100 or Shockwave here at Restoration Xperts. www.restorationxperts.net We always use Microban as we feel the quality and performance far outweigh that of its competitor. In the past we have used products such as Shockwave however we have encountered difficulties with clearance testing while using this product, especially in the final stages for side by side comparisons. We have thus discontinued its use. Henceforth continue to use the product we feel works the best, Microban. Thanks and hope this answered your question fully. Any other questions, please let me know.
info@restorationxperts.net
561-737-8673
www.restorationxperts.net
RestorationXperts

Return to Restorative Cleaning & Mitigation